Monday, May 12, 2014

Guns and EBT cards?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/09/democrat-lawmaker-blasts-bill-blocking-gun-purchases-with-ebt-cards/


A few days ago I read an article about Democrat Timothy Horrigan being upset about a Senate bill that would block the purchasing of guns, tobacco, alcohol, and lottery tickets with EBT cards.  

I will say this that I am for gun rights and what not, but I do not think that EBT cards should be used to purchase that.  These people who are receiving these benefits should use it for food and basic necessities.  The whole point of poor families receiving these benefits is so that they can survive and not starve to death.  

He says that it is violating their Second Amendment rights, but it is not. The reason it is not violating Second Amendment rights is that they can save up money to get the guns that they want.  Furthermore, yes we have the right to bear arms, but it does not mean that you should use the benefits to feed your children to purchase guns.  

In addition, you do not need guns, alcohol, lottery tickets and tobacco to survive therefore EBT cards should not be used.  Lastly, there are plenty of other weapon choices that are available like a knife. I kept a knife underneath my mattresses for a long time to protect myself just in case one of my moms ex-husbands returned to attempt to kill us.  

The basic argument is that why should my tax dollars be used to pay for someone else to buy weapons, alcohol, tobacco, lottery tickets when they need to use their benefits to feed their children?